Authentic Mexican Guajillo Chorizo Tacos
Yield 500 gm
This Chorizo is so good, I am so making more tomorrow as we nearly ate it all lol.
While I purchased a Pork Scotch, I am sure just buying some pork mince would be way easier and way less messy.
Mincing the pork in the Thermomix, didn't go down well, so I had to run it through my grinder on the Kitchenaid, it was messy, sinewy, and I had to keep stopping to clear the mincing plate.
You could ask your butcher to mince it, or trim it of all sinew and excess fat and mince beforehand. That aside, it's an easy recipe, that I started after I made my Tortillas for tacos, and the dough was resting.
It is Smokey, unctuous, flavoursome, everything you want. Mexican Chorizo is not placed into casings, if it is, you break them open, to use in your recipes.
This recipe along with the meal I made with this, and my last twenty years of cooking Mexican that I have really decided I have to do a book on this.
It is my passion, if no one buys it, I don't care.
I will have all my favorite recipes in one place to remind me of what I can make, and keep track of all the crazy stuff I come up with. I truly hope you enjoy it xx
- 3 dried guajillos or ancho Chillies
- 500 gm pork mince or pork scotch through a mincer (you can do a mix of pork and beef)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 80 gm brown onion
- 100 gm organic apple cider vinegar
- 10gm achiote paste or ground annatto seeds
- 10gm pink Himalayan salt
- 5gm cumin
- 5gm coriander
- 5gm smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mexican dried oregano
- Add all seasonings, guajillo to Thermo-bowl
- Cook 2 minutes /115 degrees / reverse soft
- Add garlic, onion and apple cider vinegar, and water
- Cook 4minutes / 115degrees / reverse soft
- Leave in bowl for 30 mins, lid on
- Blend 10 seconds / speed 5
- Empty into large bowl with pork mince, hand mix until all spices are blended in
- Leave for minimum 2 hours or overnight to develop flavour
- Cook in frypan, until a mix of brown and crispy, as needed
- Serve in a taco, quesadilla, nachos, cook it up with eggs for breakfast, anyway you want it, it tastes just awesome!
- Check out my Chorizo Tortilla recipe for my favorite serving suggestion