It’s no secret that I love soups. This one is a Mexican soup that is easy and adds a bit if vet to the diet.
Hominy is dried maize kernels that have been treated with an alkali, lime, in a process called nixtamalization. It’s what your tasty Tortillas are made from.
Sausage and Hominy Soup
Yield 4 cups
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 chorizo diced
- 1 sausage, skin removed and made into small meatballs
- 1/2 red capsicum diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1 tinned tomatoes in rich sauce
- 2 tbsp Vegeta
- 1 25oz can hominy
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté chorizo, sausage, capsicum, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and cumin, until vege is softening, and water, vegeta, tomato, and hominy.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, add parsley.
- Serve topped with Parmesan or feta.
A hearty soup, a great winter warmer.