Pho King Best Pho
This a first time experiment. I have never eaten Pho (pronounced Fuh) but I wanted to make one, so I could fill up on good fresh ingredients, that are good for me, and super flavoursome.
First thing is I am not a super fan of beef, or beef broth, so I did it vego style, because I can.
So if you are a super meat lover chuck in some shin bones. Lol
Have you connected with us yet?
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
Follow along on Pinterest
Or buy the books at Shopify
- 1 bulb of garlic (cut in half)
- 2 carrots (chopped roughly)
- 1 brown onion (chopped roughly)
- 1 leek (white part only chopped)
- 3 star anise
- 1/2 tsp cloves (whole)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 lemon (chopped)
- 6 woodear mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (sliced thin)
- 1 cup chinese cabbage (sliced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock paste
- 6 cups of water
- IMPORTANT NOTE: You can add oxtail bones (soup bones or chicken feet, to add additional flavour to the stock. As I do like more of a fresh herbaceous stock, that is less meaty, I cook as above. To add the extra beefiness, just add a few bones to the stock or add it to the steam basket and lower into stock from the beginning)
Additions to Stock Base
- 1/4 rice stick noodles prepped with boiling water for 2 mins (then drained)
- 100 g nigiri silken firm tofu
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 6 wood ear mushrooms sliced thinly
- 150 g grass fed beef eye fillet (sliced very thinly)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp chili salt
- 1 small zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 green capsicum (thinly sliced)
- 2 thinly sliced red chillies
- Big handful of bean sprouts
- 10 mint leaves
- 2 baby scallions thinly sliced green part only
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang Vinegar
- 1 tsp Chilli Oil
- Place all stock ingredients in Thermomix
- Cook for 1 hour /100℃ / soft reverse
- If cooking on stove, slow simmer lid off for 1.5 hours
- Place thinly sliced beef in bottom of pho bowls.
- Add sliced zucchini, chili, mushroom, capsicum, bean sprouts, scallions,.
- Cook tofu with sesame oil, and chili salt until slightly golden, add tamari and place into pho bowl
- Top with Rice noodles, vinegar, and oil, and fresh mint
- Discard solids from broth
- Pour over boiling broth and serve!
- This soup totally rocks!